Sunday, October 10, 2010

Kuler: Interactive Color Themes

I love finding new sites and tools that really help me expand my creativity. One new tool I came across in the Adobe line is Kuler.

This site is a little gem because you can create color swatches from photos. 
You can easily upload a photo or use the Flickr library (which is great if your just siting around and looking for inspiration). The site is very user friendly and creates different swatches based on the mood you click on.

If you like to be in total control, you can make a custom swatch by moving the circles to different colors in the picture.

In order to save your color swatch you have to be signed in with an Adobe ID (which is free, and gives you access to other Adobe sites and Adobe TV).

I recommend saving it as a "public" swatch so you can easily upload it into Illustrator. I hate manually saving brushes and other add ons, so I really like this next feature.

In Illustrator, you can find the Kuler window under "Extensions". 
Since we saved our file as a public swatch, we can easily find it in the search menu. This window also provides a live connection to the Kuler site, so you will have new choices when they become available. 
You can add the swatch to your swatches window by pressing the add to swatches button at the bottom of the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment